NRL 2022: Mitch Moses the victim of death threats, escorted by police after Eels beat Warriors

Eels star Mitchell Moses has spoken about the death threats received by a family member, which led to him being flanked by police in and out of CommBank Stadium.

Mitchell Moses has spoken about the “scary” death threats a person close to him received as he was flanked by the riot police in and out of CommBank Stadium on Friday night.

It is understood the threats were not made directly to Moses but he and the club were made aware of the multiple phone calls by a third party.

The calls and text messages were reported to the NRL in the lead up to Parramatta’s clash against the Warriors on Friday night.

It comes as the partner of Queensland Origin star Dane Gagai also hit out at trolls making social media threats to her and her family.

Moses was ushered in and out of the ground by venue security and police via a tunnel under the newly development stadium.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

Mitch Moses has been the victim of death threats and was escorted to and from CommBank Stadium by riot police. Picture: Getty Images.
Mitch Moses has been the victim of death threats and was escorted to and from CommBank Stadium by riot police. Picture: Getty Images.

Police became involved when the matter was reported to the NRL.

A NSW police spokeswoman said police were made aware of the threat on July 10 and commenced investigation after receiving reports of a threat was made towards a 27-year-old man. Moses claimed the person was yet to be identified.

An extra police and security presence were on hand to ensure Moses’ safety throughout the match.

Venue security took the unprecedented step of making every patron undergo a handheld metal detection test when they entered the ground.

Moses was seen doing a post-game on-field radio interview with security standing close by. Extra police presence were also on the sidelines.

Moses looked nonplussed during his 80-minute performance during the Eels’ 28-18 win against the Warriors on Friday night.

Mitchell Moses played strongly for the Eels against the Warriors on Friday night. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images
Mitchell Moses played strongly for the Eels against the Warriors on Friday night. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

“It’s a pretty scary thing,” Moses told Triple M on Saturday.

“I think it was worse because contact was to my family. When people start to get into your family it’s harder. Couple of text messages and couple of phone calls. It was non-stop.

“It didn’t come through to me. It came to my family. To see them in that situation is not good for any person let alone a footballer.”

An NRL spokesman confirmed they were aware of the matter and “worked with the police, the venue and Eels around additional security measures”.

NRL boss Andrew Abdo said the threats were “concerning”.

“Part of our job is to ensure we have a sport that’s professional and to maintain the integrity and safety of players and fans,” Abdo told ABC Sport.

“As soon we got the intelligence, we worked together with police, stadium and the club. Extra security and protection (was on hand) relating to Mitchell Moses.

“We take it seriously. We have a team that works around the clock.”

Meanwhile, Gagai’s partner Kelly Turner hit back on her social media account after a person sent her a message declaring “hope something bad comes to your family” following Wednesday’s Origin.

Turner warned the person that if you “threaten my family and the police will be involved. For anyone else thinking about sending direct death threats about my kids or wishing them harm please know that I will be contacting the police straight away.”

Earlier this year a man was charged by police for making similar threats to a match official.

EELS SLOWLY CLICK INTO GEAR TO KEEP PACE WITH TOP FOUR

Martin Gabor

Clint Gutherson spewed up yesterday’s lunch but his Eels were saved from what shaped as a sick and sorry night at CommBank Stadium to kick clear of the pesky Warriors to keep their top four hopes alive.

The Eels were sloppy for long stretches of the game and only led 10-6 against their lowly rivals with 25 minutes to go before Reed Mahoney set up Isaiah Papali’I with his second try assist of the night to give Parramatta some breathing room.

That seemed to give the hosts some confidence and they were never headed after that with Bailey Simonsson delivering a delicious offload in traffic to set up Gutherson minutes later to blow the game open.

The points flowed after that and there was time for some Maika Sivo magic that had the home crowd chanting his name as he raced down the sideline to add to his incredible try-scoring tally at CommBank Stadium.

“He’s just starting to get some confidence,” Eels coach Brad Arthur said.

Clint Gutherson blew the game open for the Eels with his try. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images
Clint Gutherson blew the game open for the Eels with his try. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

They were far from clinical but the blue and golds are now just two competition points behind the teams coming second with five of their remaining seven games to be played at home.

The only concern is that they’ve now conceded a couple of late tries in garbage time for the second week in a row.

MAHONEY MAGIC

Bulldogs fans better be excited about Mahoney joining the Kennel next season.

The nuggety No.9 has all the talent to play State of Origin but he’s going to have to bide his time behind some outstanding players who delivered some huge moments in the decider.

But his time will come if he maintains the sort of form that he showed on Friday night.

He set up the first try of the night with a clever dart down the shortside on the last tackle and then missed Reagan Campbell-Gillard to set up Waqa Blake for the first of his two tries.

Mahoney harassed the kickers all night long and narrowly missed out on a few charge downs, but it didn’t matter because he was at it again in the second half when he hit a hard-running Papapli’i to save his side from any potential blushes.

“He didn’t overplay his hand too much and he was outstanding in defence,” Gutherson said.

Maika Sivo was strong for the Eels. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images
Maika Sivo was strong for the Eels. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

REG PLEDGE

Campbell-Gillard’s Origin snubbing could be a blessing for the Eels because the overlooked front-rower is playing like a man on a mission. The Game One discard ran for 147 metres in 51 minutes and outplayed some of the big name props on the field.

It’s exactly what the Eels need with games against heavyweights the Panthers, Rabbitohs and Storm to come, while they also play the Broncos twice in the run to the finals.

“He’s moved on from that, and we saw that in his performance last week. He doesn’t need any added motivation,” Arthur said of his prop forward.

MONTOYA THE DESTROYER

Gutherson will never run it at Marcelo Montoya ever again. Unless he’s a sucker for pain.

The Eels fullback rarely looks flustered on the field but he was keeled over for a good minute and eventually spewed his guts up after he was absolutely belted by Montoya who rushed off his wing to shut down an attacking raid.

The Warriors winger provided one of the few positive moments for the visitors when he strolled over for their first try of the night, but there weren’t many highlights for the Warriors who travel to Canberra next week.

“I’m a bit sore, but that was a great read and that’s what you want your wingers to do,” Gutherson said.

Originally published as NRL 2022: Mitch Moses the victim of death threats, escorted by police after Eels beat Warriors

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout